8.06.2009

Product Junkie

Here are some products that you may like to try out on your hair or give your tressetimony to. 

1. Herbal Essence's Hello Hydration

I've been using this product to co-wash, meaning to wash my hair with conditioner as opposed to shampoo, for about a week or two now and it works very well for my hair. I got a 23.7 OZ bottle for about $7-8 at my local Walmart, which quite frankly is a steal! This product provides much slip, or silky feeling, that allows for effortless detangling (on wet hair of course!). Unfortunately ladies, this product does contain silicones which is not easily removed with a simple co-wash regimen and can cause product build up. Silicones can be removed from the hair with a sulfate (damn near every) shampoo but sulfate tend to be very drying to the hair and is a no no for girls with curls, kinks, or coils. All in all though, my hair responds well and I will continue to use and buy this product. Remember, no two curls are the same. Your hair may or may not react in the same manner.


2. Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balancing Shampoo

The first time I used this shampoo it was also the first time I'd ever tried a sulfate free shampoo. My first reaction was "WOW"!!! It felt so good and so moisturizing to my hair. The smell reminds me of oatmeal baths and old people, which sucks but hey, what can ya do? The product consists of mostly organic ingredients and as previously stated NO SULFATES!!! I shampoo'd my hair again last Sunday using the product and was a little less impressed. I don't know if it's because my hair had been getting the moisture is needs (and deserved) or what but it didn't seem to be the magic in a bottle that I remembered it to be. With this product, it takes a second go to lather properly but that seems to be the case with me in general. Anyone else having this issue? Anyway, I digress...while I'm slowly failing to see the point in shampoos at all (especially one that isn't clarifying my hair) I would recommend this to any curly girl who may still be on the fence about the co-wash method. Shampoo is all most of us have ever known and thus it's a little hard to break free from. No worries, Aubrey will wean you off the poo quite nicely!


3.  Aubrey Organics White Camellia Ultra-Smoothing Conditioner for Dry, Coarse, Unruly Hair

Well, it smells a lot better than it's counterpart! Still not a heavenly scent, but much more tolerable. It's consistency isn't all that thick but at the same time isn't runny. It's about that of a light yogurt which i consider to be acceptable. When applying this conditioner, you don't have to be too heavy handed which is WONDERFUL!!! This conditioner makes a great detangling aid (possibly better than HH). Another perk is, just like the rest of the Aubrey Organics line, it's ORGANIC! No questionable ingredients here folks! One youtuber said "if you can't eat it...it shouldn't be going in your hair". I don't know if I would take it THAT far, but natural products are always gonna be the healthier choice to make.


4. Raw (unrefined) Shea Butter


Shea butter is most definitely the BOMB.com! If you're like me and can't stand the smell of it you can always add a scented oil to make it work for you. However, I've noticed that once it's in my hair it takes on a totally different smell (a nice one). To make it easier to use, I pop mine in the microwave for about 15 seconds before applying to my hair. Shea butter adds plenty of moisture to my hair but after a couple days, a nice co wash is necessary. My hair starts to get this sticky feel to is that bothers me to no end. Shea butter can also be used on dry skin as a moisturizer.

Well, that's it for now folks! Hope I've helped. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love Hello Hydration the smell is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete