2.01.2010

Co-Wash Chaos

"There has GOT to be a better way!"-DJ

Hey there! This past weekend while I was home visiting my mom and sister from school, I co-washed my hair. Now, normally co-washing is nothing to report about, but this time I was running into some serious issues that made me wonder if you all were having similar ones. My first issue was that my mom's shower head is not detachable and I find it kind of hard to wash my hair in there. It always seems to take entirely to long to saturate my entire head which is kind of annoying. I decided that this time I would wash my hair in the sink; never again. Washing my hair to the front was absolutely terrible! When I co-wash, especially if my hair is starting off straight, I begin by brushing my hair (in this case forward) with my denman to kind of get a jump start on the detangling process. Well not only was this awkward for my hair strands that are used to going in the opposite direction, but when it was all said and done, all of my hair was sitting at the front of my head needing to be brushed back! It was terrible you guys! I felt as if I was pulling unnecessary strands out which broke my heart. I tried to make it a little easier on myself by sectioning my head off and then trying to brush it back but I still felt traumatized. If you wash your hair in the sink and you know of another/better way to deal with detangling PLEASE let me know!

Usually, while in the shower I begin by brushing my straight hair back while letting the water hit and saturate it. Alternatively, if my hair is already curly, I let the water saturate first and then use a wide toothed comb to comb through. After these first two steps are complete, depending on the status on my hair, I put on whatever conditioner I plan to use and work it in all over my hair. I'll usually dab both hands on top and then head straight for the back, grabbing the nape and above to get conditioner all over it. These two sections typically get the most of the first bit of conditioner so I'll add a little more to the sides and middle. Once I'm done applying the conditioner, I turn once again to my denman to brush the conditioner through, being sure the brush massages my scalp in the process. I'll usually let that sit a while while I'm in the shower and then rinse with cool/cold water. After co-washing like this, detangling for styling is a breeze. Just add a nickle/quarter size amount of conditioner evenly throughout your hair and use your denman or paddle brush to detangle!

I hope this helped with anyone who's been going through what I experienced this weekend! Until next time, Happy Healthy Hair Growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment