9.06.2009

Trader Girls

Before I do this edition of "Trader Girls", I would like to publicly thank Ms. Leslie for sharing her knowledge with myself and my readers. I learned something with every point this diva made! Thank you soooo much from the bottom of my heart for your contributions! It means a lot to me that you wanted to partake in my journey and my blog!
-Donna

leslie`nikole

NATURAL SINCE: natural all my life and I don't plan on changing it.

TIPS & TRICKS: in my short life span, i've learned many things.
1. natural black hair is not white hair. most of your time your hair doesn't flip and water might not always smoothen out your hair, might make it fuzz up more.

2. if you're like me, living in montreal, canada; your winters are EXTREMELY COLD. love your hats and hate having frozen ears but don't wanna break your hair because the hats are wool or cotton? find out about the fabric shops in your area, maybe even in china town and see if you can get a yard of silk cloth and glue. those two should cost you about 20 dollars. when you get home, cut out the cloth and glue the pieces on the inside and the rims of your hats to keep your hairline and your style. it's WAY cheaper than buying a whole bunch of hats.
3. you know those pantyhose you have, the ones with the gigantic hole in them? TAKE THEM OUT OF THE GARBAGE NOW AND WASH THEM. you can use these. cut off the toe and stretch the material over your brushes after you give em an extremely good cleaning. this will help you brush dust out of your hair. the dust will not collect in the brushes and the strands of hair will be EXTREMELY easier to get out. when you want to clean your brush, simply pull off the cut pantyhose and wash it.

4. braid/twist/Bantus knot your hair before you go to bed and slather on some moisturizer. not too much, just enough to seriously moisten the hair. then put a little oil in your hands and run it over the braids/twists/Bantu knots and tie your hair down with your scarf. then, cover that one with a cotton bandanna, usually about 50 cents. this will keep the silk scarf from slipping around and will keep some of the heat that leaves your body through your head, giving you a mild hot oil/moisturizing treatment while you sleep. when you wake up, maybe towel your hair if you find it too greasy, but usually it'll look okay. great for people who don't have a lotta moisture.

5. dreads. now, i grew up with reggae music, dub, Rastafarians ( my dad used to be one ) and incense. you don't need any of the things i listed to have dreads. and all though people associate dreads with rastas, doesn't mean you are one. the term dreadlocks is a rasta one though.
Rastafarians basis for dreading their hair is because they believe that scissors/razors/combs are Babylonian inventions and they want nothing to do with Babylon. it's just that serious. the reason why they dread their hair is because Samson, who's hair was never cut supposedly only had seven locs of hair, which they believe can't mean seven strands. dread locking symbolizes patience and a nazarite law of not cutting hair, so basically, dread locking means "dread to cut your locs ( of hair )" to Rastafarians.
6. just because you're natural, doesn't mean that boys won't talk to you. actually, boys will stop talking to you. young men/men who have their minds in the right direction will. so natual hair just might be the answer to stop getting so much of mcthug mcphony's attention. and with natural hair, comes the idea that you have an enlightened outlook on life. so put down that zane book when you're on the train and try malcom x's bio or something about african american history.
if i think of anything else, it'll probably be on: http://yngblkqwncnfsd.wordpress.com/ check it, it's my blog

If you would like to b a trader girl just email me at donnajenay@aol.com and we'll take it from there!

2 comments:

  1. you are VERY VERY WELCOME =)
    i will be putting you back on my affiliates list !

    ( you were there before, but somehow, you got cut off =/ )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, I love everything you said! I learned something from #5. I thought that dreadlocks were a negative term, but it isn't! The last thing you said about the guys is so true. Claps on that great point. I've had guys just run their hands through my hair all the time. They seem facinated with it. I can see why. =]
    I love your hair! This is the first time I've seen it in it's natural state. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete