9.05.2009

Myth Buster


"Give my hair a chance, America!"-DJ

Hello dolls! So I've been sitting here thinking about the past four months of my transition and one thing that sticks out in my mind the most is the reactions that I've gotten from people when I tell them I'm going natural. I've gotten everything from blank stares, to the big eyes accompanied with raised eyebrows, to the outright "why?!". Those things I can handle, I really don't expect people to get my logic on it because four months ago, if you would have told me I would never get a perm again I probably would have given all of those reactions and then some. My issue is when people equate going natural with locs. YES, locs are natural, but why is it the general assumption that if I'm not longer going to get perms that I must Must MUST be getting locs! And just the way that they ask. "So what are you gonna do with it? You gonna loc it?" Ew, first of all no more referring to my hair as "it" I have named her Bre! Secondly, what the hell man!? What are you gonna "do" with your hair?! I'm gonna do whatever the heck I please! Ponytails, puffs, wear it WILD! (oh, my!) I swear they all automatically picture me looking like Ciely from The Color Purple. I've even had "Bre" be told she looks like Ciely when I wear her twisted up. How DARE they be so rude? Matted? Nappy? Oh no! Bre is a diva, digg me? She is just coming into her own right now. Give my hair a chance, America! Why so critical? Why so rude? Why so...so ignorant? Sigh, well...there's my rant. Until next time ladies...Happy Healthy Hair Growing.


2 comments:

  1. omg!!! i get the same thing, right down to the "Ciely, mama." While I'm stuntin with a curly fro, they got a wack, dry, limp ponytail!! thumbs down! lol

    ReplyDelete