4.12.2010

Checking In

"Your hair can actually be in a state of shock from the big chop alone!" -Nicole Simone

Hello all! Today is Monday April 12, 2010. I am two days away from my FIRST full month since big chopping on March 14, 2010! Yesterday when I was washing my hair I noticed that my hair felt a tad bit heavier and longer. Now, I could just be trippin' but I think that I've gotten a little bit of length! I've found myself getting a little length happy, daydreaming about what my hair will transform into over the next 11 months and what styles I'll be able to wear on my 1 year anniversary. While I know I haven't been blogging all too much lately, I've been having an absolute BLAST with my hair! I've been learning all types of new things as I play around with products and techniques. (Sidebar: I'm no longer in Product Jail. I feel as though I've recovered from my PJness and I've bought a few new products [but not in excess]. Reviews coming soon!) Part of the reason why my updates are so few and far in between is that my digital camera has officially died on me. That's right, I am without my lovely camera and it breaks my heart. No more stunning texture shots, etc. until I am able to buy a new camera.

On another note, I want to give this piece of advice to anyone who has recently big chopped or plans to big chop in the near future. If you've been following my blog, or at least read the last few updates, you'll know that my hair really had me on a roller coaster immediately after big chopping. My texture was bananas for the first week to week and a half. As I asked around trying to gain as much knowledge as possible on what I thought was my new 4b/c texture, I was informed that your hair can actually be in a state of shock from the big chop alone. My friend who had also very recently big chopped told me to just give my hair a few weeks to reveal it's true texture and in no time things would start to make a little sense. Now, that's not to say that 4b/c texture is a "bad" or "undesirable" texture to have, it's just that during my transition my hair appeared to be 3c/4a and I was simply confused. As I was saying, I immediately went to seek knowledge in order to find styles and other measures of care for the texture in order to fully embrace it. I say all that to say this: don't completely freak out if when you first big chop your hair is an unruly frizz ball. Do a couple deep treatments and most importantly give it time. Also keep in mind that as your hair grows, it's texture will eventually change and loosen as the hair's weight will pull it downward with the help of gravity.

I hope that this entry helps and keeps another head naturally beautiful. If you all have any direct questions please feel free to email me personally at DonnaJenay@aol.com. I am truly passionate about natural hair and helping other women understand the beauty that God has given us all. Nothing hurts me more than to hear a woman say "I just couldn't keep up with it". Ladies, it's really not that difficult. We're all ignorant to something...but if I can I would love to cure that ignorance with the knowledge that I've acquired on this journey.

Until next time, Happy Healthy Hair Growing!

2 comments:

  1. Hey there lady! Congrats on the big chop. I too big chopped on April 2 and my hair definitely in a state of shock and dismay. LOL Actually, I'm doing pretty good about taming her but she seems to still want to march to the beat of her own drum. Tell me why last night I entertained thoughts of perming my hair? Can someone smack me? LOL

    Anyway, best of luck with your hair journey and I can't wait to see some pictures! Do you have a camera on your phone? You can always take them with that or a webcam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks!! I had to take a deep breath and think straight so that those thoughts wouldn't even enter my mind! I'm glad you didn't allow it to break you though and I wish you good luck with your hair in the future! thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete