12.21.2009

#FAIL/End Saver Challenge

"Oh, I am not playing!" -DJ

So, I know I was supposed to go 6 full months without touching those scissors/shears...but i HAD to! Yes, I know this makes me a #failure, but you all didn't see my poor end! They were horrendous! While I didn't make it to my goal of 6 months, I did go 5 which is major for me! Eh, I'm still proud! So on to the details: I snipped probably 1/2-3/4" off of dead ends last night. I can still see growth progress but not as much as I would like. Hence, the End Saver Challenge! I have 100% sucked at taking care of them and that's pretty much been my issue for the past 5 years or so. So this time...I'm going smack into an "Ends Saver Challenge". Being as though I'm home on Christmas break and have no real obligations outside of my house I play to keep my hair sealed 24/7.





*back track*





Last week i received my first order of Megatek! For those of you who don't know about Megatek, it is a very powerful (and expensive) conditioner formulated to grow back the manes and tails of horses who suffer from skin conditions and other issues that make it difficult to grow their hair. The conditioner has been deemed safe to use on humans and lots of ladies have enjoyed remarkable results. I've only used it twice as a conditioner and I really really love the coconut smell! I honestly wasn't expecting it to smell as good as it does so that was a pleasant surprise! Here's a picture of a "faithful user" of Megatek with a 2 month comparison pic. According to her, without the product she was only getting 1/8-1/4" a month of growth which is below the average 1/2" a month that most people see.

So yeah, $30 a pop is a bit steep but the results can NOT be denied!

Anyway, like I was saying. I used the product on my wet hair as a deep conditioner overnight using a shower cap and a rubber band (i don't recommend). I applied the product, put a regular plastic cap on and kept it on with a rubber band, slapped a bonnet on and said *goodnight*. I woke up with a headache due to the rubberband cutting off all circulation to my brain during my slumber. SMH, never again. Thankfully, I discovered the other way to use Megatek; on dry hair! If you've ever used Luster's Pink Lotion and liked it, you'll LOVE using Megatek dry! I put about a dime size or less in my palm, rub my hands together and distribute all throughout. I then use my denman (for no reason in particular) to get a more even distribution and use about the same amount of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to seal it in with, distributing the same way. In oder to avoid using heat later on in the week (i'll get into that later) I pin curl my hair all over so my hair has some sort of bump to it. Going back to the shower cap, but smarter this time, I put it on the same way but secure it tight and twist the extra slack twisting it like a bantu know and securing it with a bobby pin. That'll keep the moisture on my hair and off my pillow case, in the air, or whatever other way moisture can be stolen. Today is Monday and I do plan to keep my hair like this at least until Thursday! Oh, I am not playing! My ends WILL be healthy in 2010!

Back to what I was saying though, it's never a good idea to apply direct head (flat irons, curling irons, blow dryers etc.) more than 2-3 days after washing your hair. Think about it, have you ever looked at your hair days after washing it? Like, REALLY looked at it? There's all kinda of lint and other ungodly things from your clothes, scarves, cleaning and just your environment in general in there. You don't want to bake those things into your hair deeper. Eghk! And constant heat is always a bad thing in itself. Instead of retouching your style every morning, try bantu knots, pin curls or rollers. These things will all help in keeping your ends together.

So, did I miss anything? If so, let yourself be heard in the next edition of Trader Girls with your own tips, tricks and concotions by emailing me at donnajenay@aol.com! Until next time Happy Healthy Hair Growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment